Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Birthday Week

A few years ago I decided that one day was not enough when celebrating birthdays. It just doesn't seem right that we should only have one special day a year. I decided we should celebrate birthday weeks. I love the idea of celebrating a person and what they mean to you. When I met Mike and introduced him to this concept, he didn't get it so a few years ago I had to give him a birthday week so that he could understand what I meant by birthday week. This year was his year to try to make up for the last several and he did an awesome job. Let me clarify a few things.....celebrating birthday week doesn't have to mean spending alot of money...it just means putting some thought into it to make it meaningful.

Sunday, May 6, started my birthday week. I got to open a few cards and a card from my husband. Mike has learned that when I say I want a card, that doesn't mean just signing his name but writing me a note or a letter. I know this means that he has taken time to sit down and think about what he wants to write. On Monday (my actual birthday) I was awoken with birthday greetings. I went to work and about 9:30 got a surprise visit from Mike bringing me flowers. A couple of my coworkers took me to lunch and made a big deal about my birthday all day. After work we went to eat at a fun restaurant. Tuesday's gift was a book that I have been waiting impatiently to be released and dinner with some dear friends at the park. It was perfect. Wednesday I was surprised with a gift certificate for a pedicure and massage, two things I have been longing for since the marathon. The rest of the office took me to lunch on Wednesday and gave me the princess survival bag. We laughed alot and enjoyed our time together. Thursday I volunteered to keep our friend's baby not knowing that Mike had invited some friends over to celebrate. Thankfully, it all worked out and I got my cookie cake too! :) Friday, we headed to a family retreat and it was a wonderful weekend of relaxing and enjoying the outdoors.

I was so proud of my husband because I knew he had put alot of thought into making the week special for me. He is the love of my life and I wouldn't want to enjoy birthday week with anyone else.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you had a great birthday week - you deserved it! Next year, try and go for the "birthday month"!

Sara said...

Oh, Sara, that sounds great! I'm very impressed with Mike's first round of "birthday week". He's got a lot to live up to next year.

Lesli said...

How sweet! You have a good hubby! Hope you have a good week this week!